Thursday, October 2, 2014


Timehop.  Have you heard of it?

I don't consider myself among the ranks of the technologically brilliant. In fact, I really have a love-hate relationship with the stuff.  I try, oh do I try.  I am raising teenagers at my house and the experts say, "stay relevant."  So, I'm giving it my best.  I took notice one day of this clever little app that my daughter was using called Timehop.  How fun?!  It gives you a snapshot of where you were (or what you've posted on Facebook) in the past years.  At the touch of an icon on a screen, I have had smiles erupt at first day of school pictures from 5 years ago, milestones reached in our home, and memories gone by.  

Today was no exception.




This a snapshot of life one year ago.  My bags were packed to head with an incredible team of women to serve in Burkina Faso, Africa.   To you, this simple picture from this simple app may look like luggage, nothing more.  To me, it is so much more.  It represents a benchmark.  At this very moment, my bags were packed more loosely than my heart, so full of anticipation!  I knew that I was going to have the privilege of seeing an incredible God work in the lives of my sisters sitting along side of me and my sisters on the other side of the world.  I knew that my feet were going to stand on the warm, sandy ground of Dorcas House, where girls are redeemed and restored.  I dreamed of dancing and praising God in the open, airy church of Central in Ouagadougou, with no reservation.  I could almost feel the fingers of our Compassion child around my hand while she proudly showed me her classroom.  ...and I longed to be near our son, whom we have not met, knowing that even though we would not embrace, I would be sleeping under the same African sky, only miles away.  Somehow, it was comforting.  

A lot has happened in a year.  God has stretched my heart with more enthusiasm than a child tugging on Silly Putty.  We have seen incredible highs and we have seen dark lows.  I wish I could tell you that I have faced both with rock-solid faith.  Some days, I have wondered how I could every doubt that God's hand is molding my very life and yet others, I have wondered how to remain still.  I shared a verse with a friend recently.  

2 Corinthians 12:9 ~  But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 

I believe this verse.  Some days, it requires obedience.  It requires trusting that when I feel like God can't possibly bring good out of circumstances, I know it.  Guess what, He is ALWAYS faithful!  I can scan back over the 'snapshots' of my heart and give thanks, knowing that God has remained in each detail.  But, as much fun as it is to look back, my thoughts and my heart are also stretched forward.  Today, one year later, there is a whole new team of women heading out.  





Last night, I had the privilege of praying for this team. I am full of anticipation of how God will grow the hearts of these women and love on the people of Burkina through them but, this team is special to me.  Lord willing, they will travel to Daniel's orphanage.  They are bringing physical items that are much needed but, they will also deliver hope to our son. They will remind him of his mom and dad who are longing to embrace him.  Of his brother and sisters who can't wait to know him.  Of a community and a church who has prayed for him so, so often.  And of a God, who has never, ever forsaken him, even if he felt like He has.  

I couldn't help it this morning...my heart was aching in my chest.  I laid my head on Shawn's shoulder and let the tears come.  I would love to be boarding that plane with them but, I know that when Daniel comes home, and he is feeling like nothing in his new world is familiar, he will pass these women in the halls of our church and be reminded of their time with him on the other side of the world.  I pray it brings him comfort.  I know it will for me. 

Please join me in praying for this team!  

Isaiah 58:11 ~ The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame.  You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. 

If there is an app that will let me 'hop' ahead to a year from now, please let me know.  On second thought, don't tell me.  I wouldn't want to miss what God has planned for us in between.  

In His grace,
Lisa


1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said,Lisa...we all wait with great anticipation for Daniel to be here! For whatever reasons, it is not time yet and Faith allows us some peace in knowing God`s wisdom is much greater than ours.
    I pray for this and for these beautiful ladies as they go to Burkina to serve...may they bless and be blessed beyond measure while there.!

    ReplyDelete